March 12, 2008

new york.skybus

I took a recent trip to NY on the new Skybus Airline. Who can beat a $10 fare? For someone like me that simply loves to travel, it helps calm my wandering spirit and being a photographer, I can pretty much make business anywhere I go. So for anyone wondering about this new skybus, I thought I'd share the scoop. The flights are great. All new airplanes, fun.funky.young.laid back flight attendees in simple skybus screen print T-shirts. You can see where they cut the corners...on the luxuries like; TV.movies.phones.extra leg room.no customer service phone lines.limited staff and they charge you if you want to check luggage. They charge you for everything, even the water and peanuts. They have a small sky mall during the flight where you can purchase perfume.watches.handbags. You can by air ads and they will advertise your business for a fee. Pretty smart if you ask me. And all in turn, they can sell 10 seats at $10. Let me elaborate more on the limited staff... At any airport there may be 5 skybus staff members. All in which do everything. Everything meaning; ticket counter.check/loading/unloading baggage.boarding the plane.making announcements.answering any questions.on the tarmac helping planes get in and out of the runway.shuttling the stairway to/from the plane. These people run back and forth doing it all! So if the plane is being loaded, basically there is no one at the ticket counter-visa versa. A bonus; they board in the front and the back, two entrance/exits. Things they can work on; being more friendly and accommodating with customer service. Just like all new things, it takes a while to work out the kinks. Overall, I'd give them 4 stars and will definitely use them again.

If your flying into Newburgh/Stewart Airport and want to get to the big city, here is how you do it. Once you get off your flight go out and catch the Leprechaun Bus Line to Beacon Station ($1). It leaves close to every hour. About a 20 minute ride. Once you arrive at the train station, go to the Kiosk (no employees, only a kiosk) and get a ticket to Grand Central Station. Round trip is $25. It's about a 1.5 hr. ride. Sounds tiring, but it really wasn't bad, I was in NYC before you knew it. I'd suggest picking up schedules while in the station so you can plan to catch your train back in time to make your flight.

Weekend was great in NY. I loved the buzz of the city, but was glad to get back home by day 3. Not only because of the song that surfaced from my childhood and got stuck in my head the WHOLE trip, "Ooo wah, ooo wah cool, cool kitty Tell us about the boy from New York City" but also because I really like my solitude and silence. I like being able to breathe my own air, not share it with 8 million other people and I wouldn't trade my dandelions and weeping willows for anything. Got to have multitude of vegetation! It's nice to know NYC is there though, especially if you want to shop and experience great culture.

One terrific restaurant sticks out in my mind I'd like to share about. Moustache is a middle eastern jewel. I think there are a few locations through out the city. I was with a vegetarian friend, {which I admire those who can give up those type things} so we focused on the more healthly items on the menu. It was amazing! I highly recommend it to anyone visiting. The environment is small and quaint, staff is laid back and gives you your space. Which I love! We shared quite a spread (Spinach and Chickpea Salad, Hummus, Moustache Pitza, Ouzl without the chicken) and even had some left over for breakfast the next morning (cold hummus on toast...YUM!). All with a bottle of wine for $60! The best! I guess I've chatted enough, here are some images from my weekend.






I seek out any China Town in any big city. Good Cheap Buys and great stores with herbs and teas! Not to mention the food!!


John Lennon tribute in Central Park-Strawberry Fields. John Lennon, who i adore not only for his music, but he was so passionate about the things he believed in, I admire that.


for you Jim!


Central Park in early morn.


Brooklyn Bridge at dusk.


A dog walker! He was waiting on his "colleague" to assist him. The big one in his lap reminded me of my pupper Sonoma. Big sweet ball of fur with such a great soul, you can see it in their eyes. Those kind of dogs should of been people, maybe they were....




I am so not a wildlife photographer, I kind of hesitated sharing this, but I like the skyline.


She is so classic and antique. If she could talk...








All the fake D&G bags in china town. good stuff!

1 comment:

Julie Wagoner said...

Love the photos...sounds like a wonderful getaway!

Julie Wagoner

 
sally gupton photography. copyright 2008.