March 12, 2008

inmeasurable

Do you ever wonder why people come into our lives? I knew when I met her it was more than just a paying client wanting photographs. We became friends. She had a kind spirit and was straight forward about who she was, what she wanted and what she planned to do in life. She was Kenya Tillery. Kenya passed away this past week after a long battle with cancer. She was very proud to have beat and overcome it the first time, and recently it had come back in another form. She stayed positive, motivated and was more inspiring in her weakest moments then most people at their best. I'm still not sure why Kenya came into my life, I'm sure just like all things, time will tell. But I can tell you that I am a better person because of her, she will be greatly missed. The word inmeasurable was used in a tribute to Kenya during her memorial service. It's a powerful word and one that well describes not only who she was, but what she was in this life and what she will be in her next.

The last images I took of Kenya (below), she had not yet seen. I had photographed her quite a few times. Last Spring and again recently in celebration of her birthday. This particular session, she was so excited she had grown her hair back, and knowing she was getting ready to loose it again, she wanted me to take some images. I finished them for her memorial service and thought I'd share with you. In my opinion, this is when photography fullfills its destiny. We are only here for a short time, and the people you leave behind sadly start to forget. But not just how you look. I try to photograph my images in a way that give you insight into someones soul, a glance can remind you of the sound of their voice or how they smelled. More importantly, it triggers a flow of emotions and thoughts that takes you to that place where that person resides within you allowing you to remember. Please pray for Ms. Tillery (kenya's mother) and her loss as well as all others who are affected by this passing. And to Kenya, I look forward to hearing your songs in the wind.





2 comments:

kimberlie said...

I am just crying my eyes out right now. I have seen all her photos that you have posted and remember you telling me her story. It is so sad to loss such a good spirit. I am sorry you have lost your friend and I am sorry for her family. I know you have helped them with your pictures of her. They are so beautiful and I know they will look at them for years to come and see/feel her spirit shine through. I love you!!

Kimberlie

Dejahmi by Beth Respess said...

i went to high school with kenya and only found out about her death today. your pictures of her show the same gorgeous and powerful yet gentle spirit i remember from 20 years ago. i'm sorry i wasn't able to reconnect with before she left this life, but your photos make me feel as if i had. thank you.

 
sally gupton photography. copyright 2008.