March 24, 2009

Meet Hannah [my intern]

I was checking my message one day and had a call from a young lady named Hannah from Randolph Community College, inquiring about an internship. A light bulb went off. It never occurred to me, but I was excited! Even though I can't possibly have enough hours in the day, nor stay organized long enough to get any thing done in a timely manner on my own, I was wondering if I had enough for someone else to do 40 hours a week. I have been so use to doing it all by myself for so long, I freaked at the thought that I would have enough work+knowledge to make it worth her time. I was totally willing to take on the challenge! After all, I can talk photography all day!

Once Hannah + I had an opportunity to sit and talk about her goals, weakness and strengths, I knew we both could learn from one another. She wanted to learn more about how to work + communicating with clients, as well as the business side of photography. One part of my day to day tasks that I feel really confident I could give her some insight on. One of her weaknesses, as well as mine, is posing, so we are on a mission to figure that one out together! I have learned already that she is really good with studio lighting, which is always a challenge for me. She's even taught me a few photoshop tricks!

We are 3 weeks in and it has been great having her around. She has had an opportunity to assist me on a few shoots. We have an upcoming wedding where I am really going to get to see what she's got! Thus far, I have been extremely impressed with her attitude, work ethic, and most importantly her camera work. She is a pleasure to have around, kind of like a little sister.

Our first week together we went out and did a mini photo shoot of one another.

To be honest, it is the first time I've ever had someone professionally take my photo and I actually liked it! That is huge, because I never like my own image!


Sally Gupton [image by Hannah McClure]

I had Hannah write a few lines about herself and her point of view.
She can be reached at hannah@sallyguptonphotography.net if you have any questions for her or want to say hello.

Without further ado, meet Hannah:



Hannah's Blog

I am a student at Randolph Community College in the commercial photography program, and we’re required to complete two internships to graduate. So I was searching for someone to intern with, when I came across Sally’s website. I enjoyed her work and found it to be a whole lot better than a lot of wedding photographers I looked up in the Triad.
I was interested in getting experience with wedding photography and portraiture, etc., but not the stiff, posed photographs one might think of when they hear the word portrait. So I am excited to get this experience with someone whose pictures are fun, candid, and full of life.
I will be graduating in August, which is crazy! These two years of photo school have been frustrating, difficult, demanding … and still somehow amazing. I never thought I would learn so much. And internships are one of the biggest parts of learning! I have to say I’m not exactly sure what’s to come after graduation, but I am excited about the future and choosing which road of photography I want to go down! I’m hoping the best is yet to come!


Watch out world! I know Hannah is going to do some amazing work in the future and I am honored to have been apart of her journey!

No comments:

 
sally gupton photography. copyright 2008.